The sun is out, the days are long and the kids are home from school. What better time to start your holiday planning?
You might be laughing, but if you’re in the promotional products business you should also be thinking – your customers are going to start making their holiday plans soon. Spending some time now to prepare yourself for your customers’ requests is no joke.
So let’s take a look at gift-giving in 2022. A gift that will be used and remembered fondly is one that shows that you understand the person you’re giving it to. While there’s no one-size-fits-all philosophy, it can be useful to understand the preferences of different generations – let’s get to know their motivations and the things they care about.
Latchkey kids unite! This was the first generation with access to affordable home computing capabilities and to come face-to-face with the realities of climate change.
- Sustainability: A recycled snapback cap is always in style, while showing respect for the environment.
- Independence: Nothing says “I can do it myself” quite so well as a Weekender duffel bag.
- Family: A simple cozy blanket is the perfect invitation for the recipient to get comfortable and stay a while.
One of the “in-between” generations, the group between Gen X and Millennials shares traits with both. While they grew up mostly before the advent of social media, they were there for all the technology advancements that led to it.
- Playfulness: The colorful Cotopaxi Hip Pack says you’re just not ready to let go of your youthful sense of play.
- Nostalgia: A simple, comfy beanie acts as a fond reminder of the days before everything went digital.
- Wanderlust: A spacious Tour Duffel from Eddie Bauer becomes a new go-bag, always ready for a last-minute road trip.
You’ve probably heard a lot about Millennials, but take some time to get to know the largest generation in the United States and you’ll find that they can give gifts for any reason. They also appreciate distinctiveness and quality in the gifts they receive.
- Experiences: A Woodland Shirt Jac helps to feed the need for going places and trying new things.
- Food: When you need to stock up on the essentials, a canvas boat tote is just what you need for the trip.
- Conscious Consumerism: A French Terry Hoodie made from 100% organic cotton looks good, feels good and does good.
Another of the micro-generations, Zennials bridge the gap between Millennials and Gen Z. Some are still living with their parents, while others are becoming parents themselves.
- Cautious: A stylish and comfortable snap-front jacket enables planners to feel like they’re ready for anything.
- Purposeful: The Re-Fleece Hoodie and Jogger encourage active lifestyles and sustainable habits.
- Social: For those always on the lookout for the next Instagrammable moment, an on-trend Watch Cap is a perfect accessory.
Generation Z has grown up with easy access to technology their whole lives, while seeing the real effects of climate change taking shape in the world around them. While they might be spending a lot of time on TikTok, they still appreciate a good gift.
- Thrifty: A comfy Re-Blanket speaks to anyone who is mindful of materials while remaining generous of spirit.
- Diverse: The perfect gift that anyone can appreciate – a soft Perfect Tri Fleece Hoodie fits in any situation.
- Tech-Savvy Learners: A convertible tote pack adapts to the changing needs of the in-person classroom or the virtual learning space.
Underpinning all of this, remember why you give gifts in the first place. We give someone a gift to show our appreciation — for a job well done, for a year of struggles overcome or just for their presence in our lives.
A gift gives you a chance to thank the recipient for being a part of your journey. Don’t miss the chance to make it meaningful for them too.